Sunday, July 12, 2009

metal embossing

I had requests for bridal cards from both my sister and my stamping group and I was thinking about a design and I thought silver and blue would be so pretty. When I tried to use brushed silver paper it was just a little too "flat" for the delicate background I wanted then I remembered aluminum foil embossing so this is the final card that came out. The dress template was made up by folding a paper in half and playing with the cut until I thought the dress looked not too skinny and not too fat- it took a little doing but at least now have a pattern that I can use over and over again.

The dress is also made using a texture plate- cut the design out first in shimmery white CS and then place on texture plate face down so that it would be a symmetrical pattern, wrap a little piece of blue taffeta ribbon and glue dot down a flower from the pretties kit and a half dome pearl from the same kit. Place on card with Stampin' Dimensionals.

The sentiment is from All Holidays set, stamped in Bliss Blue on white, word window punched and then mounted on Bliss blue CS punched with the new modern label punch from SU and accented with a clear rhinestone brad.

The foil embossing is easy peasy- I would recommend that you cut the piece of heavy duty foil to the size neede so you manipulate as little as possible after embossing. It is a little too thin to emboss as is and does better with a piece of CS on top before layering as instructed and shown.





This is what it looks like after you run it through the Big Shot. All the wrinkles will magically disappear. Just lick your finger and slide the paper off the texture plate. Have your mounting surface all ready and put the tape onto the paper you will mount the foil. Be generous with the tape and I would use SNAIL or some smooth tape as one of my stampers found out with one of her "bumpy" adhesives left little bumps on the foil after mounting. This is a very delicate card and the foil can be marred with lots of handling.
This is what the final card looked like. It is really fun and easy project that looks like a million bucks. I've seen cards with less work on it at stores selling for upwards of $8 plus.






If you want something more heavy duty, I would consider using heavy tin or here I used a soda can that I cut out with my heavy duty craft scissors. Wash out the can and cut out the side of the can. I've been flattening it out under my old sizzix and a year later, it still has quite a curl. Oh well.
This is so thick that texture plate does not do well with it but with the embossing folders, it does a beautiful job that really holds its shape and is perfect for rough handled cards.






This is what the embossing folder did to soda can tin to the left and aluminum foil to the right. I like the heavy duty aluminum foil with texture plate because it really smooths out the wrinkles and if you screw it up, run the same foil in the texture plate and it will come out new. But with embossing folders, there are still lots of wrinkles which I did not like as much although in a pinch I would not complain- it's still pretty cool.





This is what the back of the embossed can looks like- I have no bad habits except for one can of diet Dr Pepper that I have every morning. I tried to give it up once after reading that aspartamate may convert to neurotoxic chemicals that can aggravate migraines but my migraines were no better and I REALLY like it so I am back- just could not save enough cans to get ready for my stamping workshop to have one for everyone. Take caution- the edges are sharp and you can cut yourself if you are not careful.







This is my card using the embossed soda can with the cuttlebug Embossing folder. Base card is the new In-Colors from SU- soft suede stamped with same color with the nuts and bolts from the set Lots of Bots. Mount the embossed metal with lots of sticky strips. Crushed Curry strip stamped and edge sponged with soft suede again. Circles cut out with the new circle cutters and I used paper piercer to add a little extra detail. The screw brad on the side from Michaels.
Give this a try- it is SO MUCH FUN!
Lynda







No comments: