Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Accordion Folded Flower

I saw this card in the Sale-a-bration Mini earlier this year and thought it was really cute but never got around to making one so I thought I would try it and even had it at my stamp camp. From everyone's trial and error and many that I have now made, have some tips to share with you.

Take a 12x 1 1/2 Designer Series paper and punch the edges with the scallop punch. Accordion fold along each of the scallop. Start the strip at a scallop's start and you will have exact number needed to have one piece overlap. We tried to score these but some people scored too deep and ripped the accordion, so I think best just to hand fold.




The edges need to be really secure so use sticky strip to adhere so the flower will not " pop" open in the middle of you trying to lay it flat to make the flower.
I mad the base card from 6x6 saffron card folded in half to make a 3x6 card. I textured the pumpkin pie CS using the new Perfect Details Texturz Plates. I wrapped a 1/4 inch grosgrain ribbon in old olive and secured it with sticky strip. I also laid a bunch of sticky strips underneath where I thought I would lay the flower down in about a 1 1/2 inch square and then pushed the flower down with the scallop on the outside.







This is what it should look like. It still can pop up so hold onto it and gently push down into the tape. I put a lot of Tombow Multi Purpose Adhesive in the center of the hole and around the base to secure the brad.




I curled the tip of the brad - it seemed that the tip was a tad too long for the flower so curling it made it lay better and seemed more secure.





I put something heavy- I just happened to have some punches laying around- to secure the brad to the flower and let it cure for about 30 minutes.








This is what I did to the brads in my later pieces when I figured out this seemed to work better.









Tie a 5/8 " grosgrain in old olive and secure with a sticky strip or glue dot. Tie a message punched with word window and tie with the linen thread around the leaf to finish. The build a brad is really easy. Just punched out a piece of designer paper with 1/2 inch circle punch and used tombow tape or glue and put the self adhesive little acrylic bubble on top. I guess you could put a little face if you had a picture that fit- wouldn't that be cute!
Now if I can figure out how to mail this card......
Lynda







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this! thanks for sharing!