Monday, June 2, 2014

Graduation Pop Up Spring card


My nephew is graduating from high school this year and I wanted to make him a pop up graduation hat card but all the cards I saw had a weird dimension to it that would not fit in an A2 card so I had to reverse engineer a card to make it so.  I knew it had to be 4 1/4" across and that made the dimension 9 1/2" in the length.  That meant I could get 2 cards out of each sheet of cardstock which works out even better.

Because the cards are 4 1/4" across, use the diagonal scoring board and score with the card held in the tall direction at 2 1/8" which is the
half way point as shown in the first picture, then flip over and score again.  Then turn the card 90 degrees so the long side across the top and score again at 2 1/4 then flip it over and do it again.  There should be a diamond at the edge.
Now I switched the scoring plate to the regular scoring plate turn the card over and score between the scored X- at 5 1/2" mark (the diamond will be on the right side).  Make another score line down at 3 1/4 line where the diagonal line on the left ends.
Cut off the triangles from the corner of the diamonds, fold the score lines and you have an easy pop up card.  I used 2 3/4" white CS squares to stamp the message on the inside.  The sentiment is from the Remembering your birthday set which is perfect for any celebration event. the graduation sentiment is from the Blue Ribbon set stamped with Basic Black and Island Indigo.
2014 is stamped using Memorable moments set with versamark and embossed with gold embossing powder.  I used a 1/2 inch circle punch with a dimensional to make the button for the hat and made the tassel using the gold baker's twine.  I hope he likes it.